Thursday, December 22, 2011

Food Truck of the Month: December

December isn't over yet, folks, and I'm here before the New Year to tell you about my December food truck pick.

Rice Box Truck, "Chinese Take-Out on the Go."




Enough said, amirite?  The name says it all, and they have everything, from vegetarian and vegan choices and the classics like General Tso's, and options to complete with dumplings and (free) fortune cookies.


I caught up with them across the street from Anvil on Westheimer around lunch time a few weeks ago.

I got one order of the General Tso's and some dumplings, more than enough food for two people.  I was greeted by three workers up in the truck, who introduced themselves to me, asked for my name and walked me through their menu as a first-timer. 


The charisma of the owners/operators shines through the decor and in the food--I was pleased with my meal and will have to go back with friends, as I know a lot of people with a penchant for Chinese Take-Out.


One last plus: Their website actually says their hours on a calendar that loads on the page.  I wanted to highlight Rice Box for this.  In the past, I have recommended trucks to people in passing and they've had a hard time tracking said trucks down, mostly because they can't find the location of a truck based on their website alone.  I know Twitter and Facebook are both huge, but I've spoken to many people (both young and old) that don't use either.   

Don't get me wrong--I know it can be hard in an food-truck-unfriendly city like Houston, where locations for trucks aren't easy to scout or maintain for any set length of time (due to weather, generators, the food truck police, etc. etc.), and therefore it's not always easy to update a website.  I'm merely lauding RBT for including their calendar on their website.


Enough chatter, go out and try some take-out in the New Year! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment