Monday, March 15, 2010

Sushi Jin

For my very first plunge into the waters of Sushi culture in Houston, I chose Sushi Jin, touted as perhaps the freshest in the entire city. It is located at Dairy Ashford and Memorial. If you don't live in the area, it is a hike, but well worth it.

According to my incredibly knowledgeable waitress, N*, their fish is flown-in twice a week. How's that for freshness?

For my virgin run of this sushi-adventure, I decided to try a little of everything.



Here we have the Blue Fin Tuna, which I was told by my waitress to be the highest of quality when it comes to Tuna. It did not disappoint. Buttery and rich, it was a delight.

We decided to try a little of everything. Pictured is the smoked salmon, the tiger's eye roll, and the snapper. All three were delicious.


Next we moved on to the Volcano roll, that had cooked sea scallops adorning the top (a personal favorite), spider roll, unagi, pepper tuna, and yellowtail, which were all quite good as well. The pepper tuna had a slight vinegar taste, but it wasn't overpowering. If anything it added to it, I just wasn't expecting it. I've heard that my palate will change the more I do this, and I'm interested to see where that will lead me.



I'm not sure what bad could be said about Sushi Jin, to be quite honest, except that they didn't do well with amateurs such as myself. I walked in not really knowing what it was I wanted, which didn't help matters when I asked for suggestions. A virgin palate, when given too many options, is apparently not good for a place such as Sushi Jin. Luckily, N* was patient, and took the time to explain and walk me through a little bit more once she understood my newbie status.

In fact, she taught me my first lesson in Sushi--aesthetics are almost as important as the actual quality of the food. She stated a few times that the way the sushi was placed on the table in front of us, how it was lined up on the plate, and how we were to eat it were all thought about by the chef.

This is not a new concept. I've heard the term "poorly executed" thrown around enough by food critics to know that the look of the food must also be as pleasing as the taste. However, the idea that she described seemed more poetic; where the little rolls were placed on the plate, and in what order they were eaten mattered. It wasn't simply about taste, it was about food as an experience. Not something to be scooped up and shoved into the mouth, and not something that is for mere nutrition. No, this was about food as something one participates in, something you are a part of and feel. You must be present, aware, tuned-in, and focused on not only yourself but what you are eating.

I don't know about you, but some days I don't even think about the food I put in my mouth, let alone the taste. The times when it is thought about, I would say that it's short lived on my tastebuds and ultimately, my mind. When was the last time you thought about the presentation of your steak as having anything to do with how it might affect the taste?

To me, it was a radical idea, and the take-home message for me from Sushi Jin was refreshing: Sushi, and food in general one might say, is about engaging all of your senses to culminate in a transcendent experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment