Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ajiaco: Chicken Soup for the Colombian Soul

Last Monday I decided to open The Gourmet Cookbook, and leaf around for inspiration.  I decided to make soup--not just any soup, but Ajiaco
Never heard of it? It's a traditional Colombian Soup that is made with chicken, corn, and potatoes.



It's hearty and good for the annual week of cold weather in Houston that will be coming up (hopefully) soon.



It was a learning experience in many ways, mostly because I took a whole chicken and cut it into eight pieces.  I'm not sure if I really did it correctly as they were not perfect, but I got eight pieces, so I'm not complaining.  I wrestled a whole chicken and I still won--dinner was made.


I would re-write/post the recipe but I'm fairly certain it's copyrighted, so I'll just share briefly what I did:


1. Brown the chicken in butter (Paula would be proud), set aside.


2. Add chopped onion and oregano to the butter, brown.


3. Add 1-1.5lbs shredded russet potatoes, chicken broth, water, seasoning, and simmer for 25minutes.


4. Take the chicken out, add cubed Yukon Gold potatoes, simmer another 20minutes.


5. Add thinly sliced corn cobs, and simmer another 5 minutes.


6. De-bone and de-skin the chicken, shred, and add to the pot, heat through.

The best part about this recipe is that tweaking the soup afterwards is expected--each person at the table can add a touch of the following four ingredients, based on taste: cubed avocado, cilantro, cream, or capers.  Avocados weren't looking great at the grocery store, but I had the other three on hand.  I am "Ms. Picky" at restaurants sometimes, so I liked that one could make this soup to one's specifications and it's built into the etiquette of the meal.

In fact, I left out the capers myself and regretted it, as they added a special bite that was missing.

This is fun to make (even if you don't wrestle a chicken) and fun to consume.  Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment