Thursday, November 10, 2011

Who Moved my Mac 'n Cheese?

With the holidays fast approaching, my mind wanders to what I will contribute to the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals this year.  The easy answer has always been dessert. It was safe, it was easy, and by gum, I knew what I was doing.  Perhaps the time has come to step aside and let someone else shine in the sweets department--a family member has played with the idea of making Tiramisu.  Who am I to stand in the way of such greatness?    

If I choose 2011 to be the year to come out of a culinary comfort zone...what should I make?  So far, I've had my eye on mac n' cheese (call it inspiration from local establishment, "Jus' Mac"). 

I'm not talking about a box with an envelope of cheese.  I'm talking an oven-baked affair.  The kind with real cheese and noodles and possibly breadcrumbs.  What doesn't say the holidays like a casserole?

To be fair, this isn't so far outside of my comfort zone.  I've made mac from scratch before, but found the recipe I had chosen to be a rather bland and soggy affair.  Perhaps the real challenge of this dish will be finding a recipe worth making.

I've begun my search where I always do--the internet! My research revealed a few great NY Times article on the subject, circa 2006, and again in 2009.  Finally, a blog to check out that seems to have a handle on the idea of Mac.

I will keep everyone posted on the recipe chosen and any (if at all) further research I've done on the matter.

I've discussed the matter of mac 'n cheese with family and so far I've heard mixed reviews--some say it's not holiday canon and others say it sound delicious.  Either way, my guess it if it's there and looks good, chances are they'll try it.  The proof as to whether M&C could be a holiday staple is, well, in the pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment