Monday, November 14, 2011

Food Truck of the Month: November

After last month's procrastination fiasco, I decided to pull up my bootstraps and find some trucks.

I came across a few that were contenders already this month, as I attended a fall carnival/food truck corral held on 11/11/11.  Lucky me, a bunch of trucks all in one location!


It was a fun time--lots of people walking around and enjoying the food, kids bouncing on three different moonwalks, and there was even a DJ!  I arrived early (as I learned to do so from a late appearance at a similar gathering a few months back at Noel Furniture), and saddled up to Pi Pizza Truck, my pick for Food Truck of the Month.


Who better than to feature for November, than a pizza truck?

We've all been there.  The bird is out of the oven, and it's either burned, too dry, or not cooked enough.  Your family is languishing around the house looking anxious, hungry, and tired.  What to do? You buy a pizza (I know what Domino's is thankful for every year!).

The aptly-named "Four Twenty."
I am a pizza fan, and I especially like it when an establishment makes the effort to go beyond the usual ingredients and offer something truly unique.  Pi Pizza Truck delivers (pun not intended) on this and more.  The portions are generous and the menu diverse. PPT mixes elements like blueberries and peaches, or pulled pork and coleslaw, and they even have one old faithful--the simple pepperoni and cheese. They serve sandwiches and occasionally have something called "Magic Bacon," something I've been told can't be described, only experienced.

The night I visited I tried the "Arabian Nights," and the "Four Twenty," both shown above and below.  Followers of my blog know that I am a spice and food-adventure lover, so it was hard to stay away from such ingredients like "lamb and pistachio mint pesto" and "chili cheese fritos and buffalo sauce."  I liked the "Four-Twenty" a bit more than the "Arabian Nights," if only because spicy usually wins over adventurous 6 out of 7 days of the week.

The "Arabian Nights." Aladdin would be proud.
I have to commend them for taking on a cuisine that I imagine to be daunting even in a large food truck--my guess is one would need a large oven and lots of work space.  To make the pizza taste good on top of that feat, that is nothing short of amazing. 


From my limited knowledge of following Pi Pizza on twitter I know that they are a new truck, about three weeks old.  I look forward to seeing more of them in the future, as I hope they are able to stick around. 

They are worth checking out regardless of how you feel about exotic toppings or pizza--if you visit these "Pizza Ninjas," chances are you'll be satisfied.


No comments:

Post a Comment