Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Housecleaning: Co-ops, Thanksgiving wrap-up, etc.


It's been about a week since I posted so I thought I'd start this round of posts off with some housecleaning on a bunch of topics.

For starters, ever heard of a produce co-op, or farmer co-op?  Me neither. However, I had to find out, as three different friends (from three completely different social circles) all recommended I try one out.

Basically, a produce or farming co-op is locally grown food offered in bulk to the consumer.  It's seasonal, organic, and has a great collection/variety from week to week.  Co-ops are usually local and non-profit.  I chose Rawfully Organic for my first adventure, and they have a great FAQ that does a much better job explaining the whole idea.

My awesome recommending friends know I am becoming more and more interested in "local" food (often called "locavore"), and farm-raised animals and animal products. Suffice to say, it's so "up my alley" I'm surprised that I haven't done it sooner.  Of note, however, Rawfully Organic does not do animal or animal products, I was just throwing that last bit in about myself for good measure.

Anyway, I am looking forward to it--I ordered my first box a few nights ago and picked it up yesterday.  The box was so big! It was full of yummy produce, and has me so excited I will have to save the rest of my write-up on it for another post.  Suffice to say that while I haven't eaten anything but the bananas yet (holy crap, they were amazing), I can't wait to see what inspiration I can get.

Moving on to the Thanskgiving wrap-up...

Overall the holiday was a good time spent with family.  What I remember most was the kitchen, as I spent most of the week either prepping, cooking, or baking.

Tuesday began with pie dough. I found a new recipe that I wanted to try from Gourmet.com, and began forming the dough.  While the dough chilled, I peeled and sliced apples for a Rum Raisin Apple Pie, and watched Big.  Meanwhile, I melted chocolate on a double-boiler for a Bittersweet Chocolate Pecan Pie.  I wrapped up the whole day by frantically making ice cream.  I had lost my usual recipe and was rushing around on the internet to see what there was to be found.  Not my best, but ice cream was made at the end of the day, and that's what matters most.

Wednesday I ran errands (like going to the grocery store for the third time that week!), and by 3pm began peeling and chopping potatoes for mashies, and while they boiled, I made Mac and Cheese (subject for another post) and a cranberry-orange coffee cake.  I had about an hour break once everything was finished, in time for my sister to arrive and I helped her make Tiramisu.

Tiramisu is a dessert I have never attempted.  There were a lot of eggs and lots of whipping of said eggs.  I'm glad I had a stand mixer or I don't know if my arms could have taken all that whipping.  The recipe was involved and unlike anything I've ever made before, so it was a welcome challenge, like a crossword puzzle or trivia game.  My mind was stretched in new and creative ways.  For that, I am thankful!

Thursday we went to two Thanksgivings! Why? Because J and I are mental.  Both were delicious, of course, starting at J's family's house around 1pm and then mid-way through the afternoon J and I ran over to my parent's and had dinner again at 7pm.  We played games and even threw some knives around--my Dad has a bulls-eye nailed to a tree in his backyard, and bought a few throwing knives to play around with.  Everyone tried, but only one or two people really got the knives to even sink into the board, including myself.  I'd never touched a throwing knife before, but I just winged it and got them to stick! Everyone was a little bit afraid of me after that, as they well should, I suppose.

Who knew, right?  Good with knives in the and out of the kitchen! (Says the girl who has cut herself on accident numerous times, and only just now is practicing proper knife technique). 

That about wraps up this post.  I hope your Thanksgiving was fun, yummy, and above all, safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment