Sunday, October 23, 2011

Another Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe: Spicy Edition!

I have gotten on a kick of taking chicken and onions and whatever else I want and throwing it in the slow cooker to see what comes out.


Yes, this idea stems again from my original garlic bulb recipe, one criticism I wholeheartedly admit to.

My only defense is that it's a good meal that tastes more expensive than it is.  I have spoken on the versatility of the chicken and this base recipe before, there's no need to rehash.  Suffice to say that this is a recipe that is good, and cheap.  Can't go wrong with that.


Yesterday morning at the grocery store I perused the spice aisle to find that Weber actually markets a line of dry-rubs.  A look at the package explained further that the dry rub could be made into a marinade as well.  I chose "Tequila Lime," as I wanted to take a tiny dig at J for answering my question for menu ideas with the Community episode quote of "Mexican Halloween."

Vengeance, apparently, is a dish best served with a side of beans.

I added a few jalapenos to my cart after picking up the dry rub and decided I would continue with my other kick of using what I had on-hand at home to finish up the meal.


I began with the bed of onions and five garlic cloves.  On top of that I placed three skin-and-bone-on chicken breasts that I had slathered down with the dry rub, and then finished with sliced jalapenos, more garlic cloves, and about 1/4 cup of tequila I had laying about the house, leftover from the empanadas.  I used the tequila to add a little more flavor and liquid to the recipe.


8 hours later, the chicken turned out moist, tasty, and falling off the bone.  There wasn't much heat to the spice, but a good flavor.

"Shameless Product Placement"
We ate the chicken over salad, and I made my own jalapeno ranch dressing.  It consisted of sour cream, buttermilk, a packet of dry ranch dressing mix, and one jalapeno.  I shredded 1/4 of the jalapeno and minced the other 3/4 in with the rest of the ingredients. The shredded jalapeno just got mixed in with the dressing at the end.  It was quite tasty, but the heat wasn't thorough until the next day, where it had a nice blend of creamy and spice.


Not a bad meal considering how cheap the whole thing was.  I think I spent a total of $70 at the grocery store, and we ate off of the chicken and such for days.  Spoiler alert! Anyway, happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment