Monday, October 24, 2011

Food Truck of the Month: October

As the end of October nears, I realize I have not highlighted a local food truck, as I have "promised" to do so in the past.  I mean really, it's a monthly thing, how hard could it be?


For this one-woman-two-cat-one-boyfriend operation, apparently it's very hard, and do I have excuses for you! Yep, got 'em in every flavor and size as to why I procrastinated.  Heck, I've got so many you could say I have more excuses than I do food truck visits.

I finally got on the train to productive-ville, opened twitter and located a truck I've been meaning to visit: Flaming Patties.



I tracked them down last night at The Shady Tavern Ice House, which is exactly as it sounds: a nice little bar tucked away among the trees on the edge of the Heights.

When I walked up to the truck, I met Stiles Smith, the owner/operator.   After our meal I went and briefly spoke with Smith and found out that he has over 30 years of experience in the food industry, and but a mere few years ago decided to bring all his experience to a food truck.  Indeed, he doesn't just have food experience, he has burger experience, according to local blog, 2995.

Smith's experience shows through and through--the bun was light and sweet, the ingredients fresh and proportionate, and the meat was well seasoned and cooked to perfection.  In other words, when he said "serious gourmet burgers" on the side of the truck, he wasn't kidding.  

The Apple Wood Bacon Burger
I got the nasty patti myself, as when given the option of heat, I go for it 80-90% of the time.  The nasty patti has carmelized onions, jalapeno relish, pepper-jack cheese, and chipotle mayo.  The spice delivered, and then some--I got heat within the first bite, and it didn't let up until I was done.  Any heat seekers in the neighborhood ought to check it out.  Smith even has a "double nasty patti" for those who want to kick their spice up another level, and if they'd like to be featured on "the wall of flame."

The Nasty Patti, picture not doing it justice.
I'm not going to lie, I considered the double for a brief moment before I was told it was 12oz of meat.  I can't eat that much in one sitting, without great pain to myself.

The So-Cal Burger, picture also not doing it justice--it was dark outside!
There is something a little bit special in meeting the owner, chef, and server all in one--you get to talk to the guy who makes your food.  I may have stars in my eyes, but it sets the food truck experience apart from a regular restaurant.  Perhaps it could be said that when you remove physical walls you remove figurative walls as well, as there is instant feedback in the food you create and serve.

Try and visit Flaming Patties when you can, as they are top-notch, delicious, and they even serve sweet-potato fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment