Monday, October 10, 2011

Places I Love: The Texas Renaissance Festival

On Friday, I went to camp at The Texas Renaissance Festival (TRF). I've been camping annually since 2004, but attending TRF since I was eleven. 

Being gone all weekend means I did no cooking whatsoever.  In fact, I ate as much convenience-food as I could, except for a delicious Ham and Potato Leek Soup that my dear friend and best-chef-that-I-know, R, made on Saturday night.  It was so good--chunky and rich in all the right places.  I love a good home-cooked meal, especially out camping.  Don't get me wrong, I love convenience foods, prepackaged in all their high fructosey goodness.  For laughs (and eats) I bought the biggest jar of cheese puffs as I could find.  God Bless Utz, the purveyors of fine "cheese" products.

I digress.  I love TRF. It's not the costumes, or the shopping, or the camping, it's the whole experience.  There is music playing, people dancing, and I even saw a wedding take place.  You're free to be whomever you want, be it a tall man dressed as a bee or a small baby in a unicorn outfit.  I even saw a goat dressed as a dragon.  I go in costume, but have been known to go in regular clothes too.  The experience is different each time I attend, and I have made good friends and met fine people.

This would not be a food blog if I didn't talk about what I ate--I had sausage-on-a-stick, and J sampled the fried alligator.  I think he came out the winner, as his was tastier and my corset was so tight I couldn't finish the sausage on a stick.  No matter, it left room for the ice cream I ate later in the day.  R commented, "there really isn't anything so comforting as Vanilla Ice Cream," and she was right.

I plan on going out to TRF a few more weekends this season, and if you're in the Houston Area, I suggest you try it out--with Astroworld gone, it's the closest thing we'll ever have to Disneyland/world, only better!

1 comment: