Thursday, October 13, 2011

No-Boil: Trend or Long-Kept Secret?

I learned something a few months ago that turned my world upside down.

A comment on a lasagna recipe stated that one does not need to boil lasagna noodles, just pre-soak in hot water, and assemble as you would having boiled them--and then bake as your recipe states.

This was described as "an old catering trick," but I've seen this idea pop up a few different places on the web, such as The Kitchn. Of note, however, the link is to a page discussing cooking pasta with "the passive method," an off-shoot of the no-boil method in which you boil for only 2 minutes and then turn the pot off to let the noodles soak for the remaining noodle cook time (10 minute pasta will need 8min left to soak).

I have been craving homemade mac 'n cheese for awhile now, and (pardon the pun) cooking up a recipe in my head to perfect for Thanksgiving, if the purists in my family so let me.  Whilst perusing the internet for recipes, as I am oft to do, I came across a recipe that specifically stated not to boil the pasta--just dump the elbow macaroni right in the cheese and bake.

These are two American staples that have been around for quite some time.  This "no boil" idea and his brother, "passive boil," intrigues me and begs to me try it out.  I also wonder what other factors need to be in a given recipe for this work--like co-ingredients and bake time.

This matter clearly requires further investigation and hands-on testing.  Now all I need is a clear hypotheses and I'll be one rhesus monkey away from "doing science to it."

No comments:

Post a Comment