Saturday, September 24, 2011

Places I Love: Blog Edition

There are a few blogs I've been reading lately that I can't help but post.  I mean, really, where have I been?!

For starters, there is my friend Heather, over at The Mad Kitchen.  I particularly love her "Trial by Friday" sections and "Tips Tuesdays."  She's not just my friend, she's an amazing writer and empath; her food is instinctual and creative.  I am completely jealous that she lives in Japan and has a whole different world of ingredients and culinary experiences to draw from.

Another is "Eating Our Words," a local blog about the Houston Food Scene, which keeps me in the know and also provides gossip about various going-ons about town.  Houston is a city where people of all cultures meet each other and bond over food, and while I know there are other blogs about Houston, I feel as though "Eating" is the local blog that is most sensitive and aware of this. Runner Up: "Eater, Houston."

A friend and inspiration, Laurel, lives in Waco, attends grad school, and manages to run an interesting blog about her food adventures, "Memoir Munchies."  She discusses food, and life, honestly with a blend of sweetness and wonder.  I read her stuff and think, "I'll get there, someday..."

Finally, there is a blogger out in Oregon that has me in stitches lately, "Cooking for Assholes." Very clearly NSFW, this is as frank and honest as an episode of Rosanne.  I'll let them speak for themselves:

You suck at cooking. You f*ck up rice. You think Cayenne is that fat b*tch from around the way and Old Bay is the piece of sh*! that keeps calling the cops on you and your boys. Stop being such a f*cking loser and grow a brain. Cooking is easy as sh*!. Learn it.

I'm not sure I could say any better, or more at this point.  Join the next "Places I Love," where I talk about El Bolillo, a straight-up Mexican Bakery of the gods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment