Monday, September 26, 2011

The Ressurection of Beef Stew?

As the days get cooler and with the week of winter approaching (because in Houston, that's about all you get), my heart still goes back to beef stew. 

My recent attempt was a decided flop.  I put too much in the slow-cooker, overcooked it, and from what I could tell, while the smell was good, the taste was not.  What was I missing?

A quick online search and research lead me to Chowhound, a part of CHOW.com, one of my favorites to visit.  Link is here. It's the typical "ask a question and readers respond" set-up, but this time with a question that I actually want to know the answer to.

To save you to have to read (TL:DR), I'm posting the suggestion that seemed to help me the most: 

[I agree with] the searing and browning...don't crowd the pan when you sear. Then you're steaming instead of searing. Sear your meat in batches if need be.
Begin with a few slices of chopped bacon, if you like. Use concentrated beef stock. Don't use bouillion cubes. Use full-bodied, inexpensive red wine.
Adequate salt and freshly cracked pepper (slightly less salt if using canned stock with lots of sodium)
Don't use a crock-pot or slow cooker -- the heat isn't hot enough so it won't concentrate the liquids and flavors or form the Maillard reactions on the beef that increase flavor. This is the same reaction that creates flavor when you brown beef.
Braise instead, in the oven for two hours at 350 degrees. Liquid should come up not quite to the top of the meat. Use a snug-fitting lid...All these factors build intensity and develop layers of flavor. Since my sense is that you want the classic rich taste of beef stew, with a great gravy, I don't believe in muddying the classic flavors by adding spices like paprika, smoked paprika, bay leaf, or curry. I don't add tomatoes either, though a tablespoon of tomato paste would be fine.
So there we have it! My first move, which was to throw it in a slow cooker, was the wrong one to begin with.  Although, it looks as though this commenter was a little passive-aggressive--first they gave tips on using a slow cooker and then said to throw out the idea and move to the oven!

It appears as though I need to change my game a bit.  If I want beef stew, I ought to just do it in the oven/stove top.  And if I want a slow cooker recipe, best to look elsewhere.  Problem solved?

Not quite.  I work three nights this week...what shall I make in the slow cooker, and when will I have time to make a full-on beef stew? 

The internet--the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems...since 1991!

No comments:

Post a Comment